As of July 13th, "Boys Over Flowers" can be declared the victor in the war between the two most excessively promoted films of 2008 to date, accumulating 3.79 billion yen so far against Mitani Koki's "The Magic Hour" which has still managed to ring up a highly respectable 3.29 billion. "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" is still leading the summer pack with its 4.03 billion take, but "Boys Over Flowers" is well on its way to asserting its meticulously coiffured dominance.
Neither of these films were included in Toho's box office report for the first half of 2008, but they could still boast 11 films that exceeded 1 billion yen in takings (not counting BOF & TMH), with Doraemon anime "Nobita and the Green Giant Legend" the top performer at 3.37 billion. As for two of this year's worst films, "Shaolin Girl" limped into 7th place with 1.5 billion while "The Last Princess" deservedly failed to make the list. Variety Asia has the full story.
While "Boys Over Flowers" grabs all the headlines, "Climber's High" is proving to be a much-needed hit for director Harada Masato and should outdo his previous best, 1999's "Jubaku - Spellbound" (Kinyu Fushoku Retto: Jubaku). Despite a minor fall from third to fourth spot in its second week of release, it was seen by 134,072 and brought in 170,413,199 million yen in its first two days which means co-distributors Toei and Gaga can realistically hope for a final take of 1.5-2 billion. Although this may be small bikkies next to the reigning box office champs, as Cyzo point out its success is particularly notable due to its lack of TV company backing and consequent dearth of promotional muscle. After the lacklustre showings of Harada's "The Suicide Song" (Densen no Uta) and "The Shadow Spirit" (Moryo no Hako) last year, I'm glad to see him get back into the groove.
- ► 2010 (16)
- Cast update for "Shikisoku Zenereishon"
- "Volcano High" director teams up with "Death Note"...
- Nishijima and Kase co-star in "Tonan Kadobeya Nika...
- Ayase Haruka = breasts
- Hiroki Ryuichi's "Your Friend"
- From prosaic to just plain stupid
- Stills from the set of "Shikisoku Zenereishon"
- The men with the balls to remake "Seven Samurai"
- "Ponyo" detractors sharpen their sushi knives
- Thoughts on "Chameleon"
- Taguchi Tomorowo to direct his second Miura Jun fl...
- "Nonchan Noriben" update
- Sakamoto Junji says 'hoes before bros'
- "Climber's High" clings on to modest success
- "One Million Yen Girl" flees overseas
- "Sky Crawlers" or "Sky Bawlers"?
- A rare victory (?) for live-action over anime
- All that glitters may not be Takemajin
- Shochiku @ YouTube
- "Boys Over Flowers" über alles
- ▼ July (20)
- ► 2006 (41)